Meindl Vakuum GTX Walking Boot for Women
Product Review & Walking Gear Test
Vakuum GTX Walking Boot for Women
Features to Note:
- Outer Material: Nubuck Leather
- Outer Sole: Meindl Multigrip® 2 by Vibram ®
- Lining: Gore-Tex ®
- Air-Active® Footbed - removable dry sole that absorbs moisture and dries quickly - conduct moisture away from sole
- Memory foam system in ankle, collar, tongue, hell and ball of foot zones - foam that adjusts to the specific foot shape
- Improved lacing system to ensure easy running of laces
- Two zone lacing system
- Multigriff sole by Vibram - 5mm higher shock absorbing wedge in women's models
- Easy lacing eyes
I've wore the Meindl Vakuum GTX Walking Boots for Women for a number of 10-12 mile day hikes around the White Peak and Cheshire in the UK Spring with a relatively light day-pack.
I was delighted to find that breaking - in was totally unnecessary and they were really very comfortable straight out of the box. I was particularly impressed with the foam system around the ankle and collar. When combined with the shock absorbing features of the sole, it's clear that this a boot designed to really look after your feet. Mine felt as good at the end of the day as they did at the beginning even after a walk that included some long road/asphalt sections.
I normally wear a size 7 shoe but was testing a size 7.5 boot plus my own orthotics. This is a relatively high volume boot (which suited me) but may not suit someone with narrower feet. For me, though, the two zone lacing system meant that I was easily able to adjust the fit at the front and around my ankles to suit me well.
The support both longitudinally and laterally was very good and the boot fits relatively high up around the ankle so walking over relatively rocky ground was not a problem. Traction on rocky paths, mud and wet grass was also excellent.
As with the men's version - the Meindl Vakuum GTX Walking Boots for Women are a fine pair of boots from a manufacturer with a long tradition of quality boot making. The range of features in what is a relatively light boot is very impressive.
Meindl don't officially categorise these as being for use with crampons but we think they could be used with flexible crampons for short periods of time.
The Goretex lining means that they're probably warm enough to be used all through the year and features such as the hand-wrapped rubber rand and quality stitching mean the the durability should be good.
Have you got a Meindl Vakuum GTX Walking Boots for Women?
We would love to hear what you thought of it - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps you simply disagree with the verdict above - or feel an important feature has been negelected.
Let us know by clicking this link - What I think of Meindl Vakuum GTX Walking Boots for Women - so we can publish your important views below.
• I bought these very attractive boots about 4 years ago, I went hiking this weekend. The sole separated from the boots. Evidently, at about 4 or 5 years- the PU and glue disintegrates. The tread on my boots is perfect!!! But they are made to throw-away at a certain age. NOT RECOMMENDED!! They were never especially comfortable- always pinched my toes- I had to use very thin socks and I bought them in a 39.5 instead of 38.5.
Roxanne , Bioggio, Switzerland