Meindl Himalaya MFS Walking Boot for Men and Women
Product Review & Walking Gear Test
Himalaya MFS Walking Boot for Men and Women
Features to Note:
- Upper material: Sil-Nubuck leather
- Lining: GORE-TEX with Memory Foam Fit
- Footbed: Air-Active drysole
- Sole: Meindl Multigrip by Vibram
The Himalaya MFS from Meindl is a full leather, 3-4 season walking boot which I've used in a number of mountain treks around Snowdonia on some quite rocky footpaths with a winter (ie relatively heavy) day pack.
From my previous experience with Meindl boots, I expected to find that the Himalayas would be comfortable 'straight from the box'. With these, though, I did find that I needed some time to adjust to the high cut, which initially I found a little uncomfortable around my shins. However, within a short time and with a little adjustment to the lacing, I do now find the Himalayas to be a really very comfortable boot.
This is a high volume boot, which was fine for me. The excellent lacing system ensured I was able to get a good fit throughout the length of my foot.
The ankle support, toe protection and shock absorption over hard, rocky terrain was extremely good. There is a gentle 'rolling' sensation as you walk which adds to the overall comfort of the boot thoughout even the longest day's walking. The good deep lugs on the sole provide excellent traction over pretty well all the terrains I've experienced.
The Himalaya MFS from Meindl is a robust and highly specified walking boot. Not officially 'badged' as fully crampon compatible, I would be happy to wear them with flexible crampons for short periods.
The overall quality of finish is very high right down to the very solid bumper that looks like it will protect the boot from all but the most extreme of conditions. As such,the Himalayas are an excellent investment for all-year round mountain walking in the UK.
Have you got a Meindl Himalaya MFS Walking Boots for Men and Women?
We would love to hear what you thought of it - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps you simply disagree with the verdict above - or feel an important feature has been negelected.
Let us know by clicking this link - What I think of Meindl Himalaya MFS Walking Boots for Men and Women - so we can publish your important views below.
• Meindl Himalayas bought in 2006, very comfortable from the outset although the stiffness took a while for me to adjust to, used for dog walking locally as well as Brecon Beacons, Lake district etc. then 2 week trek along Baltoro Glacier to K2 in Pakistan, treks in Fann Mountains Tajikistan, hill tribes of Vietnam and in Svalbard where used with crampons (I used the clip type with the groove at the rear of the boots) no problems with the boots used in hot cold wet dry rocky and icy conditions, never a blister no complaints from me, I would recommend them. I had tried other makes of boots before buying these which felt to be a bit wider than Italian makes, so if they feel comfy in the shop they will serve you well
Rick Flatt, Weymouth Dorset
• I bought a pair of these last year from Cotswold Outdoors with a trip to Everest Base Camp in mind. As the reviewer says these boots are very comfortable straight from the box. Wore them several time for walks in the UK before the trip and had no problems at all. Everest trip was this October/November (2009) and I wore the boots every day of the 17 day trip - sometimes for up to 12 plus hours. They performed brilliantly for the whole trip and I did not have any problems with my feet in any way. I would highly recommend them - if they can tackle a trek in the extreme conditions of the Himalayas then they will perform anywhere!
Anthony Buddle, Cheshunt