Meindl Kansas GTX Walking Boots - Product Review / Walking Gear Test
Kansas GTX Walking Boot
Colours: Dark Brown
Sizes: 6-12 (including UK half sizes)
Weight: 1680 gms (pair size 10.5)
Features to Note:
- Upper material: Nubuck leather
- Lining: Gore-Tex®
- Footbed: Air-Active®
- Sole: Meindl Multigrip® rubber tread sole with PU shock absorber
- Lacing: Meindl Digafix system
I tried out Meindl's Kansas GTX during a 4 day walking trip around the Cheviots with a winter daypack.
I was wearing my normal size but found the Kansas to be slightly on the big size. I was able to easily compensate for this by wearing two pairs of socks. The boots have a slightly higher cut than others I often use and after 4 days continuous wear I did experience some rubbing on the back of my left calf. I think this may just be a matter of getting used to the style and certainly has not put me off the boots which were otherwise extremely comfortable.
The lacing system is easy to use plus the laces are a decent length and reassuringly substantial. The boots overall are most definitely waterproof and provided really excellent support, protection and grip on the various muddy and rocky mountain paths I covered around the Cheviot Hills. And I thought they were really very attractive looking as well.
There is a rubber rand but this is just around the toe - however the Nubuck leather is so far not showing any signs of wear and tear.
Meindl's Kansas GTX is a fine looking, well-made 3+ season boot. The level of stiffness in the sole/upper plus the cushioning provided underfoot make them a really good option over rocky ground. They are a great all round boot for any budding Wainwrighter! A women-specific fitting version is also available.
What do you think?
Have you got/bought Meindl Kansas GTX Walking Boots?
We would love to hear what you thought of it - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps you simply disagree with our verdict - or feel we've neglected an important feature.
Let us know by clicking this link - What I think of Meindl Kansas GTX Walking Boots - so we can publish your important views below.
• I have owned 3 previous pairs prior to my present pair. I find them comfortable, supportive and totally waterproof. With the toe bumper, they are ideal for rocky scrambles. Most of my walking is in the Chiltern Hills with more than the occasional trip to the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales. I always get 1000 miles out of each pair before the heels wear down on the outside. Its a pleasure to walk in these superb pair of boots.
John Mckenna, High Wycombe
• I have had a pair of Clarks boots. Fine for general walking and short light trails. I have always had Meindl Kansas GTX logged in the back of my mind, and when I saw them in a 'Black Friday' sale. I had to get them. They fit like a glove, combined with Bridgedale Summit socks my first outing was a joyfully comfortable experience. My shoe size is 10 and size 10 is what I bought. We have a dry rocky beach and these give the underfoot protection needed. Time will tell for durability, but for comfort they are top notch.
Simon Hooker, Caernarfon
• Positives first - comfy, sturdy and waterproof. Negatives - after less than a year (150 miles of walking) of ownership, the sole has split in half lengthways at the heel It seems to be a design fault as my wifes are starting to show a similar issue. Have been trying to contact Meindl to discuss but to no avail. Looking at other forums, this appears to be a common problem which is probably why they use vibram soles now. Very disapointed.
Andrew Wood, Newcastle
• Purchased 9 months ago and have covered over 400 miles so far. Comfortable, supportive and totally waterproof. With the toe bumper, ideal for rocky scrambles. A superb pair of boots.
John Mckenna, High Wycombe
• I have had my boots for 3 years , after lots of blisters and sore feet these were recommended by shop assistant in Cotswolds. Initially reluctant because of the price I can say without hesitation these are superb boots. Very comfortable and great support around the ankle, I personally have no prob with chaffing.excellent grip and very waterproof even after walking through boggy marsh land . All in all well worth it , I would definitely buy again.
Pauline Billington, Liverpool