Sun Protection Study - Additional statistics
These additional statistics relate to the article entitled New study reveals UK Adults are complacent about sun protection commissioned by Columbia Sportswear, the company that created the innovative Omni-Shade™ line of sun-protective clothing.
- The worst age group when it comes to behaviour in the sun are 16 - 24 year olds - over 50% admitting to not changing their behaviour or becoming less careful in the sun
- Expense is the factor that hits 16 - 24 year olds the hardest, with 35% admitting this is the biggest turn off
- Over 50% of 25 - 44 year olds admit they only apply sun cream or sun protection clothing when sitting in direct sunlight, which equates to 20 million Brits exposing their skin to danger daily
- Women show the best understanding when it comes to sun protection with one in five women currently protecting themselves and their families daily, compared to only one in 10 men
- 7 million UK males use no skin protection at all - 5% of men worry how others will perceive them
- The worst offenders when it comes to doing nothing to protect their skin are Northern cities Newcastle and Leeds followed closely by London and Brighton.
- 50% of Newcastle residents and 40% of those living in Leeds have not changed their behaviour in the sun and become less careful
- 38% of Londoners admit that they are becoming less careful in the sun
- 40% of people living in Brighton admit that they find using sun protection a hassle compared to only one in 10 people in Plymouth.
*1 - Figures from Cancer Research UK reveal that over 9,000 people are diagnosed with the most dangerous form of skin cancer each year, resulting in nearly 2,000 fatalities
*2 - This survey was undertaken by Tickbox in March 2009, using a base of 2,007 adults
*3 - Columbia's Omni-Shade line, with UPF ratings from 30 to 50, provides a range of everyday, easy to wear clothing for the whole family as well as high performance products for outdoor enthusiasts, and is specially designed to block and reflect UV rays.
About Columbia Sportswear Company:
Founded in 1938 in Portland, Oregon, Columbia Sportswear Company is a global leader in the design, sourcing, marketing and distribution of active outdoor apparel and footwear. As one of the largest outerwear manufacturers in the world and a leading seller of skiwear in the United States, the company has developed an international reputation for quality, performance, functionality and value. The company manages a portfolio of outdoor brands including Columbia Sportswear, Montrail, Mountain Hardwear, Pacific Trail, and Sorel. To learn more about Columbia, please visit the company's website
About The Skin Cancer Foundation:
The Skin Cancer Foundation is the only global organization solely devoted to the prevention, detection and treatment of skin cancer. The mission of the Foundation is to decrease the incidence of skin cancer through public and professional education and research. For more information click here
The views expressed by contributors to this discussion are not necessarily those held by go4awalk.com.