Don't Waste Money on Expensive Walking Jackets . . . - Your Walking and Hiking Gear Views
Have you seen the price of waterproof walking jackets recently ...... some are over £200 !!!
I gave up on overpriced waterproof jackets and for the past 6 years have relied solely on a selection of well made, highly waterproof (and weather resistant) poncho's.
The benefits for me are multiple and include:
- Cheap purchase price - typically less than £30, often a lot less
- Very waterproof, even in heavy prolonged deluges in the Pennines
- Wired brim hood(on some) for heavy weather head protection
- PLENTY of ventilation whilst still offering excellent protection
- Larger versions cover my rucksack as well as me
- Does away with need for waterproof trousers - typically cover down to my gaiters
- Makes a nice 'shelter' for a bite to eat or a drink from a flask on the hill in inclement weather (head inside)
- Very lightweight, small pack size, and if it gets damaged you've not ruined an expensive jacket (think barbed-wire, snags, abrasion & tears)
- Plenty of room for multiple layers underneath
- Many can be 'opened up' and used as either a tarp or a footprint ground sheet for a small tent
I've yet to find a disadvantage that isn't outweighed by their many advantages, the best being their cheap purchase price.
Try one -- you'll be pleasantly surprised and maybe even become a convert like me.
Tony Nicolson, Manchester