Khyam Flexi-dome Highlander
Product Review / Walking Gear Test
Colours: Mid blue/black trim
Weight: 4.7 kgms
Khyam says:"Another tent built using the unique Rapidex® pole system, the only quick erect tent pole system that works. Highlander has a hooped porch pole for more useable space. Ideal for festivals, auto-touring or just those occasions when you need a reliable tent that is ready in seconds."
Features to Note:
- 3 berth (2 in comfort)
- Flysheet:2oz polyester 185T WeatherWeave 5000 with taped seams and flame retardant coating
- Hydrostatic Head: 2,500 mm
- Flysheet Features: Dome with front porch/storage area. Double looped shock corded pegging points. Large centrally located mesh vent with wind activated rain cowls, vent is further protected by a large clip on top cap with security clip preventing loss during pitching and striking camp.
- Main Poles: Solid 7.5 mm fibreglass poles utilising the unique Rapidex® joint system - 1 manual & 1 auto joint operating around a central Rapidex® hub.
- Porch Poles: Solid 7.5 mm fibreglass poles utilising the unique Rapidex® joint system - 1 manual & 1 auto joint operating around a central Rapidex® hub.
- Inner Tent: 1 x Breathable Nylon inner tent with strong polyester sewn in groundsheet. Berth Capacity - 3 with large entrance door for easy access. 6 Inner tent panel pockets & 2 inner tent pockets for handy storage. Secondary mesh door on inner tent main door for added ventilation.
- Dimensions: External height - 130 cms. Packed size 82 x 20 cms.
- Strong Polyester fully zipped Carry bag
As with most other tents in the Khyam range, the Khyam flexi-dome Highlander features the superb Rapidex® Quick Erect System. This is basically a pre-assembly system which has the main structural poles of the tent pre-inserted through the tent sleeves.
The poles themselves have two different types of joint. In the Highlander the top joints are locked into position manually using an easy-to-use locking collar and the bottom joints lock into position automatically when the poles are fully extended.
The inner tent is 'pre-installed' so you just have to peg-out the guy-lines and the tent is ready to use.
This system works really well and means that even the bigger tents in the range can be erected - and taken down - remarkably quickly.
The Khyam Flexi-dome Highlander tent was tested during a very wet stay in Dumfries and Galloway. Courtesy of Khyam's Rapidex® Erect system, (and a couple of 'practice' runs in the garden first) I can get this tent from Car Boot to Fully Erect in about 90 seconds which is truly remarkable.
The internal accommodation is plentiful for 2 people - though a bit cramped for the suggested 3. It has a central vent in the roof which is a bit small but comes with a vent cap that is fixed to the flysheet to prevent loss. Compared with other tents we have tested, the 'bath-tub' floor felt a bit thin but performed well on highly waterlogged ground.
The inner tent has two internal storage pockets and six really useful external storage pockets (in the porch) for all those easy to misplace/get wet camping essentials - such as matches.
On the downside, I'm 5ft 10" (178cms) and I found the porch pole to be simply too low. I could not get under the porch without either rubbing my shoulders on the wet outer fabric or being forced to kneel on the waterlogged grass. Once inside though there was plenty of room to for all my kit. Also the blue coloured fabric gave a somewhat surreal gloomy effect inside.
Taking the tent down was quick and efficient and took less than 30 seconds - which was really useful given the weather conditions.
The Khyam Flexi-dome Highlander provides a good level of accommodation (for 2 people) and performance from a tent that is lightweight and supremely easy to pitch and take down. If you have ever tried to 'thread' poles through tent fabric in wind and rain you will just love speed and simplicity of Khyam's Rapidex® Quick Erect System.
If it has a downside - then it is the low porch. If you are planning to go camping when it is wet and/or raining - invest in the next size up in the range.
Stop Press! If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, Palm or Blackberry you can now use it to download and see this Khyam Flexi-dome Highlander product review and gear test with go4awalk Mobile. Simply enter www.go4awalk.com into your iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, Palm or Blackberry's internet browser (e.g. Safari) and follow the on-screen links.
What do you think?
Have you got/bought Khyam Flexi-dome Highlander Tents?
We would love to hear what you thought of it - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps you simply disagree with our verdict - or feel we've neglected an important feature.
Let us know by clicking this link - What I think of Khyam Flexi-dome Highlander Tents - so we can publish your important views below.
• I bought my Khyam Highlander a few years ago and it has been one of the best buys ever. I park my bike, tent off and up within 10 minutes. Off to the bar tent ... Come back much later and it's up and dry, whatever the weather. Uk, Europe, wherever. Packs up small enough to sit comfortably strapped to my bike but is big enough to keep two bikers with helmets and kit out of the weather. The 'porch' is a real advantage as there's somewhere to keep our boots without getting the inside too dirty. I was not pleased when the top cap flew,off down the motorway because I didn't zip the bag up properly ... But I've just found out I can order a spare! Excellent! Wouldn't swap mine. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend forever pitching and striking a tent but wants to be positive they'll keep dry and comfortable.
Chris Billington Hughes, Wollaston, Northants