Paramo Fuera Windproof Smock
Lightweight Walking Jacket for Men and Women
Product Review / Walking Gear Test
Fuera Windproof Smock Lightweight Walking Jacket for Men and Women
Colours: Black, Cobalt, Citrus, Moss, Dawn Blue, Greengage, Cypress & Chilli Pepper (NB. Not all colours are available in all sizes)
Sizes: XS - XXL
Paramo says:"The Fuera Windproof Smock, made from Nikwax® Windproof, is lightweight, windproof, rapid drying and offers maintainable water-repellency when treated with Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In. Ideal when combined with a Paramo Cambia base layer or Reversible Shirt for temperate days where breathability and flexibility are more important than total waterproofing. Extremely tough and durable fabric suited to all outdoor activities."
Features to Note:
- Reduced flap and weight through contoured fit.
- Visibility and safety from reflective strip.
- Complete freedom of movement and total arm flex through articulated arms and elbows.
- Adjustable cuffs allow precise fit at wrist - can also be pushed up for cooling.
- Additional cooling option via neck/chest zip.
- Freedom of movement from short front and scooped tail with single hand-adjust hem cord.
- Dual access chest pocket will fit a climbing/cycling guide book. Handwarm friendly.
- Optional head protection via fixed adjustable hood.
- Combine with a Paramo Cambia base layer or Reversible Shirt (Mountain Vent and Mountain Pull-on specifically) or both depending on insulation required.
- Low bulk. Easily tied around waist or stowed in own pocket when not worn.
- Made from Nikwax Windproof to cut the wind and deflect the rain.
The only thing you can say for sure about the UK weather is that it is unpredictable. Dry and fine forecasts suggesting you have no need to carry waterproofs often result in the occasional shower and chilling wind ruining what would have been a lovely day in the hills and mountains. The Answer? - Take a windproof/showerproof lightweight smock such as the Paramo Fuera Smock.
When combined with a breathable base layer (such as a Paramo Cambia Base Layer or Reversible Shirt) this is ideal for temperate days when breathability and flexibility are more important than total waterproofing. It cuts wind and deflects rain while providing excellent moisture vapour transfer. There is a large pocket in the front for your map and a good hood.
As with all Paramo clothing, the water-repellency can be easily maintained with Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In. And when you don't need to be wearing it, the Paramo Fuera Smock scrunches up to the size of a tennis ball for easy stowage in your day pack - and it is so lightweight, you'll never realise you are carrying it.
Extremely comfortable and lightweight. Windproof and ideal protection from the occasional shower (though not waterproof).
What do you think?
Have you got/bought Paramo Fuera Windproof Smock Lightweight Walking Jackets for Men and Women?
We would love to hear what you thought of it - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps you simply disagree with our verdict - or feel we've neglected an important feature.
Let us know by clicking this link - What I think of Paramo Fuera Windproof Smock Lightweight Walking Jackets for Men and Women - so we can publish your important views below.
• I've had two of these, due to weight loss the first became a spinnaker when worn on a bike.... If washed and proofed as per the instructions they are very water resistant, extremely windproof and with no irritating rustle. All in all for £50 excellent value for money. If I had a gripe it would be that the hood doesn't fold away, but with a bit of judicious tucking you can make do.
• I disagree with your review that the Paramo Fuera windproof Smock is not waterproof (and obviously Paramo are doing themselves a disservice). I used one this year cyclng in the Austrian Alps in torrential rain (plus sleet & snow) over several hours and I kept absolutely dry. Granted I had used the Nikwax wash-in, but not a drop got through. I have no connection whatsoever with Paramo.
Mike Davis, Hull