The Best 18 Walks in The Lake District to walk in the Rain or Snow
Trust the experts - these are the Lake District walks you really cannot afford to miss when it is raining or snowing!
The Lake District is one of the most beautiful places in the walking world - lush green valleys with bubbling streams tumbling over the rocks in a series of stunning cascades.
Come to think of it - there is quite a lot of water in the Lake District - and most of it gets there from the sky as rainfall or snow.
It is a fact of life that - whatever the forecast, whatever the time of year - if you spend any time walking in the Lake District you will encounter rainfall and low cloud sooner or later. And if you go in the winter months, snow is virtually guaranteed.
So what to do? For many people there is little point clambering to the top of a distant Lake District summit only to be greeted with thick mist, deep snow and no view. And you just cannot spend all weekend sitting in a pub or tea-shop waiting for the weather to clear up (however tempting it might sound) - particularly when you have spent all that time and effort getting to the Lake District in the first place.
So here is a series of walks you can do when the rain falls, there is deep lying snow and the clouds are low.
You will still need good quality Waterproofs, Warm Clothes and Walking Boots - but that's what you bought them for wasn't it? All these walks are well within the capabilities of the average fell walker, most offer some degree of shelter along the route and since none of these walks climb particularly high - with a bit of luck you should still get the reward of a handsome view - whatever the weather.
This is of course a personal choice and it wasn't easy. Indeed, it has taken over 40 years to compile! However, if you prefer to search for your own walks - go4awalk.com has a huge choice of other walks, routes & maps in The Lake District to choose from including:
- Walks in The Lake District
Walks, routes and maps covering the whole of the Lake District . . .
- Our pick of The Best Walks in The Lake District
The Lake District walks, routes and maps any self-respecting walker should not miss . . .
- Our pick of The Best 'Ridge' Walks in The Lake District
Ridge walks, routes and maps with views to cleanse the soul . . .
- Our pick of The Best Walks in The Lake District in the rain or snow
If you spend any length of time in the Lakes it will rain or snow. So be prepared . . .
- Walks in The Central Fells area of The Lake District
Walks, routes and maps up The Langdale Pikes, Ullscarf, High Raise . . .
- Walks in The Eastern Fells of The Lake District
Walks, routes and maps up Helvellyn, Striding Edge, Fairfield, St Sunday Crag . . .
- Walks in The Far Eastern Fells of The Lake District
Walks, routes and maps up High Street, Thornthwaite Crag, Kentmere Pike, Yoke . . .
- Walks in The Northern Fells of The Lake District
Walks up Skiddaw, Blencathra or Saddleback, Sharp Edge . . .
- Walks in The North Western Fells of The Lake District
Walks, routes and maps up Grasmoor, Grisedale Pike, The Newlands Horseshoe . . .
- Walks in The Southern Fells of The Lake District
Walks, routes and maps up Scafell Pike, Sca Fell, Bow Fell, Crinkle Crags . . .
- Walks in The Western Fells of The Lake District
Walks, routes and maps up Great Gable, Pillar, High Stile, Hay Stacks . . .
- Walks in The Far Eastern Marches of The Lake District
Walks, routes, maps up Lambrigg Fell, Grey Crag (Sleddale), Whinfell Beacon, Mabbin Crag, Great Yarlside . . .
- Walks in The South Eastern Marches of The Lake District
Walks, routes and maps up Orrest Head, School Knott, Scout Scar . . .
- Walks in The Southern Marches area of The Lake District National Park
Walks, routes and maps up Stickle Pike, Banishead, Grizedale Forest . . .
- Walks in The South Western Marches area of The Lake District National Park
Walks, routes and maps up Black Combe, Caw (Dunnerdale Fells), Dawson Pike . . .
- Lake District Peak Bagging Maps and Tick Lists
Never miss a tick in The Lake District . . .
- The go4awalk.com Guide to The Lake District
Where to go, what to see and what not to miss . . .
Stop Press! If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, Palm or Blackberry you can now use it to download and save Walk Route Maps in with go4awalk Mobile. Here's how. Simply enter www.go4awalk.com in your iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, Palm or Blackberry's internet browser (e.g. Safari) and follow the on-screen links.