Win one of seven copies of Alastair Sawday's Special Places Pubs and Inns of England & Wales worth over £100
As we enter a truly Great British summer Sawday's celebrates one of the greatest British institutions, the local pub, with the release of the latest issue of the much loved Special Places Pubs and Inns of England & Wales.
On sale now, the 9th edition of this trusted tome comprises over 900 of Britain's very best pubs and go4aWalk.com has 7 copies to give-away!
Find more than 200 pubs where you can stay the night (more than ever before), thriving locals, little-known freeholds and hostelries of history, character and charm plus twelve of Sawday's absolute favourites in the annual Pub Awards, selected for their authenticity, commitment to the community, local and seasonal produce or for being excellent 'all-rounder' inns.
In true Sawday's tradition each pub has been inspected and selected and chosen for its character, warmth, originality and the people that make your stay special.
Highlights for walkers include:
- Royal Oak, Hurdlow (Sparklow), Derbyshire - This rescued old boozer with open fires, local beers and delicious pub grub is ideal for walkers and cyclists, with the stunning Tissington Trail just on the doorstep.
- Tiger Inn, East Dean, East Sussex - Tucked in a fold of the walker-friendly South Downs, The Tiger Inn is full of character with its stone floors, crackling fire and open beams, and there are five lovely bedrooms to go with the gorgeous views.
- Cross Foxes, Brithdir, Gwynedd - Have a pint on the terrace overlooking the River Dee at this award-winning pub, or settle into the wood-panelled interior and enjoy a meal. All this just a moment away from Cadair Idris – perfect for walkers.
- Gunards Head, Zennor, Cornwall - This stylish pub is in the perfect location – on the Cornish Coast Path, surrounded by secret beaches and breath-taking wildflowers. The homemade food is fantastic - picnics are easily arranged in good weather, and there are cosy, warm rooms available.
- Hare & Hounds, Bowland Bridge, Cumbria - A beautifully restored 17th-century coaching inn; eat in one of the comfortable bars or elegant private dining rooms, then settle down in the comfortable, stylish rooms – The Hare & Hounds is ideal for walkers, who can walk across the Lake District Fells.
- The Old Spot, Dursley, Gloucestershire (on The Cotswold Way) – The Old Spot pub has gained national recognition among ale buffs, and the no-nonsense, traditional pub food hits the spot after a day walking on the Cotswold Way.
To see more pub walks where you can enjoy a refreshing drink at a fine country pub after a walk in the countryside . . . see Walks from UK Pubs and Inns
How to enter this competition
For your chance to win this fantastic prize, simply post a new* photo on the go4awalk.com Facebook Wall which features you, your friends and/or your family on the top of a UK mountain or hill.
It could be a photo of your partner on the top of Scafell Pike, your work colleagues on the top of a Snowdonian summit, your colleagues smiling into the camera from the trig point on Ben Nevis - the UK's highest mountain - or anyone you know on one of the many little hills with big, big views that are scattered throughout the UK.
You can enter as many times as you like - but don't forget to mention who is in the picture and which mountain or hill they are on so we can feature the best ones in the go4awalk.com Photo Gallery - and don't forget to mention which competition you are entering (eg Alastair Sawday's Special Places Pubs and Inns Competition)!
Good luck everyone.
*New to the go4awalk.com Facebook Wall/Photo Gallery
NB. Sawday's Special Places Pubs & Inns of England & Wales is available from all good bookshops or online directly from Sawday's priced at £15.99. For more information on the book or any of the places featured visit this link
NB. If you do not use Facebook you can send us your photographs and pictures as email attachments (configured for any computer) along with your name, caption detailing where the picture was taken and the competition you are entering to:
(Guide Resolution = 300dpi. At least = 600pixels (wide) x 400 pixels (high).)
The winners will be chosen at random from the correctly completed entries.
Closing date is 12.00 Noon (GMT) on Friday 13th July, 2012
Prize: 7 copies of Alastair Sawday's Special Places Pubs and Inns of England & Wales
There is no cash alternative.
Winner will be notified via Facebook by 5.00pm (GMT) Friday 27th July, 2012.