Regatta Day Hike
Waterproof Trousers for Men
Product Review / Walking Gear Test
Day Hike Waterproof Trousers for Men
Guarantee: 3 years
Sizes: Waist: 30" - 40"
Features to Note:
- Part of Regatta's POINT 214 range of clothing
- Durable lightweight 4-way stretch outer fabric with durable water repellent finish
- Isotex 5000 stretch liner fabric
- Taped seams
- Part-elasticated waist
- Front and rear zipped pockets
- Available in short, regular and long leg lengths
- Close fitting
I've been testing a pair of Regatta Day Hike Trousers during some walks in the Lake District and The Peak District. They are part of Regatta's POINT 214 range, which includes Regatta's more technical products.
They have an 'Endurance fit' and are made from a robust-feeling, four-way stretch fabric.
The first thing that struck me was that they do not look, feel or sound like traditional waterproof trousers. They don't rustle and have a matt finish rather than a shiny one. They are close fitting on both the body and the legs (I believe this is what is meant by 'Endurance fit'!) and so are quite flattering. However, the four-way stretchable fabric means there is no restriction in movement even when clambering over the highest stiles or when tackling some light scrambling. Indeed, overall they are supremely comfortable.
There are three pockets, two at the front and one at the back that are all zippered and lovely and deep so you can put all your important stuff in there (car keys, mobile phone) and know it will still be there when you get back to your car.
The waist is part elasticated in two places but these trousers don't come with a belt of any description.
Using Regatta's own waterproof and breathable Isotex 5000 endurance fabric, they have taped seams and an additional water repellent finish. The net result is a pair of trousers that look fantastic but repel rain and snow in all but the harshest conditions. I imagine - as is the case with many waterproof products - it will be important to keep them clean in order to maintain the water repellency.
The downside of all this is that they are quite thick and subsequently too warm when the sun shines.
Good looking and functional, Regatta's Day Hike trousers are perfect for spring, summer and autumn walking in the high mountains of Scotland, Cumbria, Snowdonia and North Yorkshire when the weather forecast is 'changeable' or for lower level walking in all but the warmest weather. Most will need to buy a belt (or 'borrow' one from another pair of walking trousers). Excellent value.
What do you think?
Have you got/bought Regatta Day Hike Waterproof Trousers for Men?
We would love to hear what you thought of it - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps you simply disagree with our verdict - or feel we've neglected an important feature.
Let us know by clicking this link - What I think of Regatta Day Hike Waterproof Trousers for Men - so we can publish your important views below.
• Bought mine November 2016 for working outdoors as a meter reader. It is now February 2017 and they have kept me warm and dry through the worst of the winter weather. Can not rate these trousers highly enough. Well done regatta
Peter Riordan, Scunthorpe
• I bought these to use on a photographic workshop as I was uncomfortable walking around in waterproof trousers when it wan't raining. These worked great. I would concur with the comments these are quite wearable as a 'normal' pair of trousers and don't feel uncomfortable in any way (unless as the review states it is a warm day) ... but then they 'perform' when the rain starts.
John Fallows, Wilmslow