Paramo Fuera Peak Windproof
Lightweight Walking Jacket for Men
Product Review / Walking Gear Test
Fuera Peak Windproof Lightweight Walking Jacket for Men
Colours: Amber/Mid Grey, Black/Dark Grey, Elephant Blue, Sky Blue/Mid Grey, Greengage/Dark Grey, Citrus/Greengage, Coolt/Dark Blue, Moss, Sky Blue/Dark Grey
Sizes: XS - XXL
Paramo says:"The Fuera Peak Windproof Jacket, made from Nikwax Windproof, is tough, lightweight, windproof, rapid drying and offers maintainable water-repellency. Ideally combined with a Paramo Cambia base layer or Reversible Shirt for temperate days where breathability and flexibility are more important than total waterproofing. The Fuera Peak Jacket in MOSS comes without reflective piping for blending into nature."
Features to Note:
- Low bulk. The Jacket is easily tied around waist or stowed away when not worn.
- Reduced flap and weight through contoured fit.
- Visibility and safety through reflective strip.
- Complete freedom of movement and total arm flex through articulated arms and elbows.
- Adjustable cuffs allow precise fit at wrist - can be pushed up for cooling.
- Optimum cooling via 2 way reversed front zip.
- Hand warming and storage from 2 zipped chest pockets large enough to fit a go4awalk route guide and OS map.
- Optional head protection via fixed but adjustable hood with wired peak. Can be rolled down and fastened via retainer.
- Freedom of movement with short front and scooped tail with single hand adjust hem cord.
- Offers maintainable water-repellency when treated with Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In.
I tested the Fuera Peak during a day's walking in the Yorkshire Dales in April. The weather forecast had predicted dry and sunny weather but there was a distinctly chilly wind on the hill tops. In fact - these were just the type of conditions in which carrying a waterproof - which I didn't need on the way up or down - would have been a nuisance.
I wore the Fuera Peak with a breathable base layer which worked well on the day when I wanted breathability and flexibility more than total waterproofing. At just 345g it is extremely lightweight and easily stowable in a bum bag or day pack and did make a difference in the cold easterly - it definitely cut the wind quite significantly while deflecting some light rain. The moisture vapour transfer was excellent. I much preferred the zip-up-the-front jacket style which I think offers much greater flexibility in temperature control over the over-the-head-smock style.
Whilst the two large pockets are a bit high for hand warming they are both large enough for an OS map and the excellent hood has plenty of volume. The amber/mid grey colour option ensured I'd have been easily spotted had I got into difficulty - though there is a reflective safety strip on all colour options should you wish to be a little less conspicuous!
As with all Paramo clothing, the water-repellency can be easily maintained with Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In.
Extremely comfortable and lightweight zip-up-the-front version of the Fuera Peak offering great flexibility. Superbly windproof and ideal protection from the occasional shower (though not waterproof). The Amber/Dark Grey option offers higher than average visibility.
What do you think?
Have you got/bought Paramo Fuera Peak Windproof Lightweight Walking Jackets for Men?
We would love to hear what you thought of it - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps you simply disagree with our verdict - or feel we've neglected an important feature.
Let us know by clicking this link - What I think of Paramo Fuera Peak Windproof Lightweight Walking Jackets for Men - so we can publish your important views below.